I discovered kombucha when I was pregnant with my second child. In the last month I suffered from liver failure and had to be induced. It was due to pregnancy and as soon as Emily was born it went back to regular function and so naturally I was concerned about this happening again with my second!
I get VERY exhausted when pregnant and I was trying to be healthy so when I was doing research looking for something to boost my energy while still healthy and safe for pregnancy there was not a lot out there! But that is when I discovered Kombucha! It was tasty gave me energy and is loaded with health benefits!
Health benefits that interested me! (There are many more!)
# 1 Detoxification! “It is rich in many of the enzymes and bacterial acids your body produces and/or uses to detox your system, thus reducing your pancreatic load and easing the burden on your liver.”
# 2 Digestive care! Kombucha is a probiotic beverage!
# 3 Mental clarity and mood stability! Because it is a probiotic it has countless amounts of benefits! “As such, it’s noted for reducing or eliminating the symptoms of fibromyalgia, depression, anxiety, etc.”
# 4 Immune boosting! “Kombucha is extraordinarily anti-oxidant rich, and you all know the benefits of anti-oxidants for boosting your immune system and energy levels.”
# 5 ENERGY! Love this! You feel great, happy, and have lots of energy! The energy is because of the iron released from the black tea in Kombucha. As well as the Vitamin B found in Kombucha.
There are so many more health benefits but these were my top five!
Making my own!
I love it so much I was drinking it as much as I could! However it is not a cheap drink! I found it for around $4-5 per bottle and my husband and I love it so we would stock up, but this was getting pricy!
One day I was actually looking up how to make candles (coming soon!! ) and I stumbled upon how to make your own kombucha, oddly a thought I never had,I never thought it would be so simple!
The key ingredient is a scoby. You can buy these here from Amazon or by doing research to find a place near you. They are usually around $40-50 each, mind you it is a one time purchase.
Or if you are like me and just love science and DIY you can grow your own! It seems so simple and inexpensive! I only started it today so you will have to stay turned on my journey!
***To learn all the details about kombutcha making read this article. Below is just on making the scoby, I will post all about my making kombutcha when my scoby is fully grown.
What you will need:
-One bottle of raw, organic, unflavoured kombucha already made.
-One cup of organic black tea
-1-2 Tablespoons of organic sugar
- Make one cup of black tea.
- While the tea is still hot, mix in 1-2 tablespoons of sugar stirring until dissolved.
- Let the tea cool completely to room temperature. ( “While not critical to the process, adding a cup of sweet tea to the bottle of ready-made kombucha gives the yeast and bacteria additional food to consume during the process of growing a new culture.” )
- Pour the raw kombucha and cooled tea into a glass jar.
- Cover the jar with a tight-weave dish towel or a paper coffee filter and secure it with a tight rubber band.
- Now let it ferment in a warm area out of direct sunlight for up to 30 days. You want the scoby to be 1/4 inch thick before using it to brew your first batch of kombucha. You might start to see a baby scoby after about 7 days but it can take up to 30 days to fully grow.
Here is what mine looks like today! I will update this blog post as it grows to show you what it looks like (if it grows!)